Saturday, February 16, 2008

Life is Like A Box Of Chocolates...

I want to apologize for not updating the blog at all this last week. It's been a rough 14 days around here.

On Sunday, February 3rd, while taking a shower, I noticed that the left side of my torso felt weird, almost like my skin was super thick, yet at the same time ultra-sensitive to the touch. I didn't think much of it, but did mention it to Ricardo.

By Monday morning, that sensation had spread from my torso down my left leg to my knee, by Tuesday it was all the way to the bottom of my left foot, and by Thursday the sensation has intensified so deeply that in certain areas it felt as if my skin was burning off and other areas were so sensitive that just the brushing of my clothing was painful...

We acted fast and I got in to my Neurologist right away. He scheduled an MRI of my thoracic and cervical spine as he felt that most MS exacerbations that are felt below the ribcage are actually caused by lesions in the spine, not the brain.

The MRI did come back positive for a brand new, shiny lesion in the T5 zone, which just confirmed that I am indeed experiencing a new exacerbation.

What does this mean? Well, I guess it just means the disease is progressing. Not only do I have lesions in my brain, but they are now occurring in my spinal region as well.

Ok, but what does this mean? Honestly, I don't know. It means that we can't keep digging our heads in the sand and pretending that I was misdiagnosed. It means I need to start actively researching and getting back on therapy. But what it means for my short-term and long-term future. Who knows? Maybe I'll get lucky and go another 5 years without another exacerbation, maybe even longer...but maybe not.

Anyway, I am still experiencing the pins & needles and burning in my left side of my body. I am currently on prednisone (steroids) to help shorten the length and intensity of the exacerbation. I've been told this can last anywhere from 2 to 4 months.

But I'm ok. I'm not in any real physical pain. I’m just worried and emotional and a little sad...but I have an incredible family, and every day with them makes me realize how lucky I am to be living this life.

I hate to be such a downer in this wonderful family blog, but I figured this was something that is impacting our family right now, so it was important to share with you all.

But, I promise, tomorrow I'll be back to post a ton of pictures from the past 8 days (two dinner parties, snow, and a V-Day playdate)

Oh, because I have to....

It's MS WALK time and it's so very important to me that we do everything we can to raise money for the cause. Please, if you have any spare cash (even $1), please donate.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Walk/NJBWalkEvents?pg=personal&fr_id=8413&fr_id=8413&px=2725611


I hope all is well with you and yours.

3 comments:

The Mendez Family said...

I'm glad you posted about what you're going through right now with your MS. I'm really sad for you that you have to go through this, but I also know that you're one tough chick and you'll handle it with strength and grace. I'm always here if you need a helping hand.

Tiffany L Cook said...

I love the Martinez Family!!! Remember... if you ever need a break, I'm down the street. Besides, you're girls are my fave people to hang out with ever. And valetine's day... lol... oh goodness. :)

Anne said...

we love you alexis and are thinking about you all. we're so sorry to hear what you're going through... let's catch up soon.