Today Ella, Sofia and I made
hamentaschen cookies to celebrate
Purim.
It was SO MUCH FUN! Seriously, the three of us had so much fun! It was almost as fun as having a root canal. Seriously.
No seriously (can I say seriously enough?). Seriously, WHAT WAS I THINKING?
Some crazy Martha Stewart alien crawled into my brain and decided that it would be a great idea to make cookies from scratch at 5pm on a Monday when my 7 month old had been cranky and clingy all day and my 2 1/2 year old had been yelling, "Daddy's home!" for the past 30 minutes.
It was the PERFECT time to make cookies (can you see me rolling my eyes at myself here?).
So Sofia sat in her lame highchair (her words, not mine) intermittently crying and whining the whole time.
Ella found the packet of ready made Pillsbury cookies that you just put on the tray and cook in the oven and kept begging me to make those instead; "no, these cookies, mommy." While I tried to convince her that we were having SOO much fun getting flour all over the kitchen. She wasn't buying it.
About 20 minutes into the adventure, after she realized I wasn't going to just make the darn ready made cookies, she gave up, walked over to Sofia and pulled off her socks and just smelled her feet and yelled "pee you, baby sister!" while I continued to roll out dough and try to shape little triangles for Haman's hat.
But look how beautifully they turned out...it was well worth the struggle.
Ok, seriously, these are the ugliest hamentaschen I've ever seen.
I contemplated blaming Ella. I was going to write that I let her shape them herself but then I thought better of it. There's a special place in Mommy Hell for mommies who blame their children for their poor baking skills.
The worst part?
When they were out of the oven, Ella was so excited to eat one. So I sent her to her snack table with a cookie and a cup of milk. She was so quiet over there enjoying her hamentaschen...or so I thought. 5 minutes later she comes back to the kitchen with such a deflated face with her plate in hand-with the cookie still on it-and just says, "ewww mommy".
I wound up making the ready made cookies, which she inhaled. hmmph.
After the great hamentaschen debacle, we waited for daddy to get home from work. I think Ella's non response to my cookie question sums it up. (by the way, listen to Sofia just chatter away....oy, are we in trouble or what?)
Here's more of them waiting for daddy
1 comments:
Okay, I have discovered it will accept my posts when I check anonymous. So, it was a great idea to make cookies at 5PM. Plus they wound up looking like a cross section of the female anatomy. EWWWW, Mommy! Honestly, you are truly an amazing mother.
Post a Comment